11.02.2006

Bite-Sized Review: Lucky # Slevin
I'm introducing a new segment in which I'll review a movie in a single bite-sized chunk (one or two paragraphs). These bite-sized reviews won't replace full reviews (at least not completely) but they'll let me get the word out on more movies. Hopefully you'll get more bang for that buck you're not spending.

Josh Hartnett stars in Lucky # Slevin as the wrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time. Specifically, Josh is mistakenly identified as a lowlife deadbeat with debts to not one but two very violent and oddly whimsical gangers (played by Morgan Freeman and Ben Kingsley) who both want him to pay up - immediately. Josh must act quickly to save his skin and along the way he recruits Lucy Liu in her spunkiest performance I've ever seen.

For the first hour, Slevin attempts to be the most clever thing since sliced bread. Characters spit out the zingers at rapid-fire pace but little of it is memorable. By the film's second half the tone darkens considerably and those zingers get replaced with bullets and punches. And make no mistake, much of the playfulness that marked the movie's first half has turned and fled by the second hour. But if plot twists and turns are your thing, then this ride packs enough action and wordplay to keep the ride interesting.

Out of a 1-5 scale, Lucky # Slevin gets 2.5 stars.
This one has "rental" written all over it.

4 comments:

Sadie said...

I've had this movie sitting in my entertainment center for like a month. I've been trying to decide whether to just send it back to Netflix or watch it.

I think I'll send it back. Thanks for the review!

Emma said...

It is extremely mediocre.

Matt said...

Sadie - No problem. I saw this movie two days ago and I've already forgotten about it.

Emma - You said it. By the way, what number am I on your hot list? I don't want to jinx myself, but I'm hoping for something in the low teens.

Anonymous said...

喝花酒
酒店喝酒
暑假打工
寒假打工
酒店小姐
酒店兼職
禮服店
酒店經紀
酒店兼差
酒店
酒店經紀人
酒店現領
酒店經紀爆米花
酒店經紀
酒店打工
酒店上班
假日打工
台北酒店經紀
酒店pt
酒店pt
酒店應酬
粉味
酒店經紀PRETTY GIRL
酒店經濟
酒店經濟
晚上兼差